Pages

logo designed by emmao creative, contactable at emmaocreative@live.com.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hey hey it's savoury day!



Since when do I do savoury?

Since I am forced to cook dinner for the family; that's when.

Now, the problem with me is that when I think I'm good at one thing, I tend to fall under the disillusion that I am capable of succeeding at all things thereafter related to the one thing I am good at.

In this case, I am talking about baking, which is the one thing of which I think I am good at.

Thus, I must be pretty good at eating.


Henceforth, I must be pretty good at describing food, and consequently, I could be a food critic.


By extension, I think I am good at cooking dinner for a family of pubescent boys who are capable of eating seventeen packets of Mi Goreng, four packets of chips, seven chocolate chip cookies and one entire litre of milk.


(I watched him.)

Which, in this case, is...

Correct!

Boooooyah you thought this recipe was going to be a fail but it was a downright winnnnnnnnneeeeerrrrrrrrr.

I would also get points on the invention test in Masterchef as I completely made this recipe up and you will definitely be able to tell when you get to the ingredients list. I promise that it works!

P.S If you are following Masterchef at all, how god damn hilarious was it when that chick (I cannot for the life of me remember her name only that she has very curvy eyebrows and a psycho mouth...) said that she was not at all responsible for the creme brulee!

THIS BITCH!

If I was on her team I would've picked up that creme brulee, poured it into a nappy and brutally forced her to wear it for six weeks.

Needless to say I don't think they would tolerate my sadistic attitude on the Masterchef series...their loss entirely...

Back to the recipe, the tomato sauce base is adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Tomato Sauce w/ Onion and Butter, which, is entirely edible on it's own. So delicious.

Here's the recipe!

Ella's Secret Tomato/Salsa Verde Pasta Sauce



Ingredients
Tomato Sauce

800 grams tomatoes from a can *
*(or, to make it even more exciting, chop up a whole heap of cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes or stock standard tomatoes and let them ferment in just one can of the tomato sauce)
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved. (I used a Red Spanish Onion, which gives the sauce a sweet little tang.)
Salt and pepper to taste
 
Method
Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. As the sauce sits, check it occasionally to break up your tomatoes, it's very satisfying feeling them pop when you poke them with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste and keep warm while you prepare your pasta and salsa verde.
 
The longer you let this baby sit the better the flavours will be so if you have time in the morning do it then then come home to your fermented goodness. :)
 
Ingredients
Salsa Verde
 
Generous handful of mint
Generous handful of basil
Generous handful of parsley
Handful of almonds (you can use walnut or cashews...)
Handful of pepitas
Handful of pinenuts
Squirt of lemon juice
Three cloves of garlic (finely finely finely chopped!)
4 tablespoons of heavy cream
 
Method
Grab your food processor. Put EVERYTHING in. Blend until everything is choppity choppity uppity uppity.
Stir this into your tomato sauce when the pasta is cooked and serve straight away.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment