Pages

logo designed by emmao creative, contactable at emmaocreative@live.com.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Well Lookey Here...


So, I bet you see this picture and you think...Good God, she's taken a photo of an elephant turd.

WRONG!

What this is is the marvellous result of your mother being an obsessive compulsive grocery shopper!

You see, my mother, like a lot of other mother's it seems, has a disorder. It seems, even when we are in abundance of food and all things that can be ingested, she goes to the grocery store in a huff claiming that "Oh there's nothing for me to cook! Oh there's nothing for the boys to eat! Oh I've run out of dried chickpeas I have to go buy more strawberry jam!"

You catch my drift?

Hence why we have nearly double of everything. Two peanut butter containers. Two packets of chicken crimpy shapes. Two packets of pizza shapes. Two bottles of honey. Two bottles of soy sauce. Two bottles of sweet chilli sauce. Four packets of dried chickpeas...(?)

Back to the elephant turd. Look! Nuts! -->

I was rummaging through my pantry as I had the day off uni and found a sudden urgency to let my tastebuds be encapsulated by a dried fruit flavour. Needless to say, my mother's mental illness proved surprisingly helpful when I discovered a 1kg bag of almonds and around six packets of dried apricots. (Sweet Jesus.)

So I thought about it a bit and came up with a little recipe for Apricot Loaf. Kinda like Date Loaf...with APRICOTS!

Here's the recipe.

Ella's Apricot Loaf



125g butter
1/4 cup full cream milk
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
3/4 cup sugar (NOT BROWN)
Couple of tablespoons of honey
Half a cup of almonds (Cut up into itty bitty nutty bitties)
Cup of dried apricots (roughly chopped into pieces)
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of Chinese Five Spice
Dash of Nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder.
2 eggs

Alright now the recipe could NOT be more simple.

Melt your butter and milk over a low heat in a saucepan.


 Add the eggs to this mixture and give it a whisk.

Add all of your ingredients, both wet and dry into a big mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.


Chuck it in any pan you want, it's better to have a loaf shaped pan as this sort of thing you slice up and have with a bit of butter and jam. Cook for an hour and fifteen or until your skewer test gives you a nice clean skewer.

Then eat warm with butter, honey or jam. (Or all three)

No comments:

Post a Comment